The Top Goal Setting Tool to Help You Achieve Your Goals

Happy New Year 2017! I wish you most of all to be in good health, showers of love to be poured upon you and, with God’s grace, to accomplish all your dreams. We’re at the start of a wonderful new adventure with 12 brand new chapters and 365 new experiences ( I saw this from a post and thought I would share it 🙂 ). I like the feeling of a fresh start and a clean plate, almost like a blank canvas, where you can start painting the picture you desire the most.

I’ve recently c0me across a very efficient tool to make your goals reality and it’s more simple than you think. But before I share it with you,

I have a quick question to ask and would like to get an honest answer: Do you write down your goals for the year?

Researchers conducted a survey amongst Harvard graduates to find out if they had written down their goals for what they want in life after graduating from university. For overall amazement, only 3% of the students had done it and were clear and specific on what they wanted from life. Twenty years later, they interviewed the same students again. What they found was incredible:

The collective worth of the 3% of the students who set clear goals and worked towards them was far more than the accumulated worth of the rest 97%.

Is it a coincidence? I don’t think so.

I’ll tell you what happened in my personal experience. Though I may sound as a zealous proclaimer of goal setting, the first time I have ever written a proper goals list was last year – in January 2016. On 1st January this year, after having a proper sleep, I took off the two goals lists from the door and sat down beside my desk.

I had split my goals into two lists – General and Financial. On the General list, there were 12 goals – after scrutinizing all the points, I summarized that I had achieved 9 out of 12.

On the Financial list the range was similar – 8 out of 13.

I was amazed at what I saw and for the first time in my life, I truly understood why they were constantly bombarding us with articles and videos about goal setting.

I realized that some big changes and also little tweaks had happened that led me towards the realisation of my goals. And there was a lot of focused effort and hard work, too.

I also found out the reasons for those which were not fulfilled yet:

– Lack of enough knowledge and/ or experience

– I had decided to postponed them in time.

So, now that you’re aware of the importance and power of listing your goals,

I’ll share the simple tool to help you stay on track while working towards your goals. The credit for this tool is to the magnificent Marie Forleo, a motivational speaker, author and web television host, named by Oprah as a thought leader for the next generation, who definitely knows what she’s talking about. Here’s her advice:

“The next step is to transfer your goals and projects into a yearly calendar. Because as I like to say, if it’s not scheduled, it’s not real. Review your list and begin to transfer items into each month. (Or months for longer term projects.)

Start by adding projects or events you know must take place in a particular month. For example, if you know you’re going to Italy in August, add that to your calendar. Include other important projects that are required in your business during certain months.

Next, go back over your goal list and add one major item to each month in your calendar. If you know a goal or project will span several months, add it to as many months as needed. Keep adding your projects to the calendar until you have all of your yearly goals accounted for.

When you’re done with this exercise, you’ll have a clear map of the most important projects and activities to accomplish during each month this year in a concise calendar format.

If you’re wondering how a Yearly Calendar looks like, it’s just a simple A4 sheet divided into 12 boxes for each month to write your monthly activity in order to achieve your goals.

This can be one of the best years in your life if you only believe in your potential and work towards your dreams! Please share your thoughts about what your experience with goal setting is.

Leave a Comment